Sunday, July 24, 2005

Norton's..

These last few days/weeks/months on my computer have brought a variety of problems that were easily ignored. Recently, I've had many problems sending/receiving emails, or not being able to send, then not being able to recieve a other day.

Many times, when I shut down my computer, espically recently, a little programed called "ccApp.exe" would crash, preventing my system from shutting down, and when it did shut down, it took a ridiculous amount of time.

Now before you just assume "Virus" or "Spyware", you are wrong. ;) ccApp.exe is part of the Norton's security programs, of which I run. Both their Anti-Virus and Firewall.

I've uninstalled them, and many of my previous problems (Slow startup, Slow Shutdown, email issues) have suddenly gone to the wind. ccApp.exe is the specific prg that actually checks email, and I am assuming that is what was interfering with my email, and it makes sense. Everytime I shut down, it was crashing (Not Responding) which would affect email services if it wasnt working.

So, in the process of removing this program, I have suddenly realized how much crap Norton's installs on my computer. I have now completely removed both programs, and from what my new firewall program is telling me (Zonealarm trial for now), I still have prg's of Norton's accessing the Net.

Fuck You Norton. For screwing up my system.

Anyways, besides Jon who runs the MOST secure O/S, what programs do you all run for Anti/Firewall?

No comments: